Frequently Asked Questions

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

How do I register for a class after the session started?

Students must submit a Late Registration/Reinstatement requestion through the Summer & Winter Sessions Application Portal. If you are a first-time user, please click on the link that says “Get Started.” If you have previously signed-up for this portal, please log in with your username and password. Once your account is verified, please choose the “Winter Session 2018 Late Registration” application that can be found under your available applications.  Fill out all necessary information and submit to us at your earliest convenience. This application requires instructor approval, in which our office will be obtaining for you.  You will receive an e-mail after if the instructor approves your reinstatement and another when you are officially registered back in.  You will have up to 3 business days to confirm your attendance after you are reinstated.

How do I submit an appeal?

For late fee waivers, add/drops, tuition refund, or W grades please visit our Application Portal to submit an appeal. If this is your first time using the portal, create an account. Once an account is created, several applications will become available. Choose Winter Session Appeal Form. Fill out all required information and provide a reason for your appeal. You may upload supporting documentation in the portal.

Can high school students take Winter Session classes?

Winter Session is open to high school students completing 9th, 10th, or 11th grade by June 2018. Please create an account with the Office of Summer & Winter Sessions Application Portal. After you sign up, choose the High School Student Application from a list of available forms. Registration for Winter Session 2018 begins October 2. Please upload a copy of your high school transcript and/or a recommendation letter from a guidance counselor or faculty member to the application.  

Can I attend Winter Session at Rutgers University-Newark?

Currently enrolled students or visiting students can attend Winter Session.  If you are a visiting student you must first submit the Registration Inquiry Form.   Enrolled students can register via WebReg.

How do I get a NetID and access to ScarletApps?

Once you have paid your bill please wait 24 hours and then visit to create your Rutgers NetID.  A  NetID is your username, this allows access to University services such as Scarlet Mail, MyRutgers portal, Blackboard, etc.  Your NetID is not the same as your RUID.

Can I use the Rutgers Web Registration System (WebReg) if I’m not a Rutgers University student?

Yes, if you are a visiting student (non-Rutgers) you must first submit the Registration Inquiry Form, once it is processed you will receive registration instructions and information on how you may access WEBREG.

How do I obtain my Rutgers University Identification (RUID) number?

If you are a non-Rutgers visiting student an RUID will be emailed to you after your Registration Inquiry Form has been processed. To recover your RUID: Non-Rutgers students visit Rutgers ID Query and enter your Social Security number or NetID to obtain your RUID number. If you are a current Rutgers University student visit and enter your NetID in order to obtain your RUID number.

How can I check my schedule after I have registered?

You can log on to WEBREG to check your schedule.  

I am a student at another college, are there special arrangements I should make to attend in the winter?

If you are a matriculated student at another college or university, you must confirm course transferability with your home institution or university you intend to apply for prior to registration. Brief course descriptions are available on the Winter Session website.  If more detailed course information is required by your home institution, please contact the appropriate Rutgers academic department. You can find department contact information at

How can I request a copy of my transcript?

Please contact the Office of the Registrar or visit

Do I need a campus ID card?

An ID card must be presented to gain access to the Golden Dome gym, library, and computer labs. Photo identification cards are available at the Photo I.D. Office.

Is there a maximum number of credits I can take in the winter? Can I request a credit overload?

Students are permitted to take up to 4 credits during the winter session.  Non-RU students who seek permission to take more than 4 credits must submit a copy of their academic transcript for review to the Office of Summer & Winter Sessions. Rutgers University students wishing to take more than 4 credits during the winter must get permission from their academic dean to present to the Office of the Registrar.

Can I audit a course?

Only non-Rutgers students may audit a course. The audit option must be selected at time of registration and standard tuition and fees apply. You will be expected to do all the course work, except the final exam, and will be assigned a grade of "S" or "U." The course and grade will appear on your transcript.

How do I withdraw or drop a course?

Drop:  Students must officially cancel their registration prior to the start of Winter Session in order to obtain a full refund.  Neither non-payment, nor non-attendance constitutes a drop and students are responsible for dropping from classes via WEBREG,, or by submitting a Change of Course Form to the Office of the Registrar by the dates listed on the Rutgers University-Newark Winter Session Registration Calendar. Withdrawal:  After the session begins, a withdrawal must be done in person in the Office of the Registrar.  Please consult the Winter Session Registration Calendar for partial refund and final withdrawal period dates. It is the student's responsibility to check their account to be certain that courses are dropped or withdrawn from successfully. Students are ultimately responsible for officially dropping a course, cancelling registration, or withdrawing by the posted deadlines to avoid academic and/or financial consequences.  

What happens if I do not attend the class I registered for?

You are still responsible for all tuition and fees even if you do not attend the class. You must withdraw from any courses you do not wish to take by submitting a Change of Course Form or via WEBREG before the first day of the session to avoid any penalties. Once the session begins, withdrawals must be done in person in the Office of the Registrar and are subject to partial refunds and a W grade, for specifics please view the Winter Session Registration Calendar.

Can I change courses once Winter Session starts?

There is no change of course period in Winter Session. All drop/adds must be done prior to the start of class, Winter Session Registration Calendar.  If WEBREG is unavailable when you are trying to make changes to your registration, please visit the Office of the Registrar in person to avoid any penalties.

Where can I get my class syllabus?

You can contact the academic department offering the course for a copy of the syllabus or you can find a link to the syllabus below the course description on our site.

How do I view my grade?

Once your instructor(s) has submitted your grade(s) to the Office of the Registrar you will be able to view your grade here.

How do I arrange for housing?

Contact the Office of Housing & Residence Life for more information.  

May I bring a car onto campus?

Yes, for information on parking permits, lot hours, and more visit Commuter Transit & Parking Services.

Does Rutgers University-Newark have facilities for the physically challenged?

We have reserved parking, ramps, photoelectric doors, and special rest room facilities. For more information call, 973/353-5300, Office of Disability Services.

Where can I find instructions in case of a campus emergency?

Campus emergency instructions, including what to do in case of a fire, evacuation plans, weather emergency notifications and more can be found here. You can also sign up to receive text message alerts in case of a campus emergency.

Is there anything else I’m required to know?

This website provides essential information. Students are responsible for keeping informed of current policies, procedures, and changes printed here and in the official notices that are announced or posted. Additional information on Rutgers University's policies, procedures, and programs may be found in the appropriate catalog.